Thursday, October 17, 2013

Bee Blocks

I'm finally getting caught up on my September/October commitments.  Who knew opening a new library building would be so exhausting!

For September's Scrapbeelicious bee, Gwendellyn @ therainbowrevolts asked for "themed" scrappy trip blocks

The theme for this one is scraps that were on my table... they just happened to be coordinating from Cuzco and Glimma
Rainbow DS prints -- a mix of Chicopee, FMF, Florence and Croquette
For the Grace circle of do.Good.Stitches, Irelle asked for a modern solids block (November BOM from Sew Mama Sew). 

These blocks took me about an hour and 15 min each, but I cut every piece right before I sewed it since each component had different measurements.  I think it would be easier to do an entire quilt using this pattern and bulk cut the pieces.  I used Kona Medium gray for my neutral then a mix of solids I had laying around from my meager stash of solids.


Finally for Newbee Quilters over at Threadbias libellenart asked for a Converging Corners block in black, red and gold for a quit for her son.  I don't have a lot of "masculine" prints in my stash, so the pickings were pretty slim.  I had to keep asking Ryan if it was boy-ish enough :)


And for October, emptysea asked for a rainbow patchwork wheel block.  I had some fun with fussy-cutting on this one :)


The only blocks I still need to to do be all caught up are the October Scrapbeelicous blocks.  I am a little intimidated by this one because Cathy (@wombatquilts) wants a low volume paper-pieced block (maybe 2 if we're feeling up to it).  I haven't done paper piecing yet, but we've gotten to the introductory posts in the paper piecing portion of the Penny Sampler class.  So hopefully I'll have more confidence in the coming weeks once I get caught up! :)  Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! You are in so many quilt groups - that is so awesome! I am also intimidated by this months block for Scrapbeelicious, I also have never done a paper pieced block. The funny thing is I have always wanted to make one so I am pumped I am being forced to now! Watch, we will be paper piecing non stop after this :) Blocks look great, looking forward to seeing the ones you make this next month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're all lovely! Once you get the hang of paper piecing the accuracy is incredibly rewarding. Though that spice rack project is definitely looking complex! I think I'll start with the diamonds...

    ReplyDelete
  3. These blocs are SO pretty. I'm sure your bee mates will love them!!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Cuzco & Glimma block is my absolute favorite! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment :) Have a happy day!